Monday, November 15, 2010

Famous members



You may have noticed I've slowed down a bit with the writing. I guess I ran out of activities we have in common. (If anyone has another idea for one, let me know.) So for now, to keep you all entertained, I'm posting links to other people's stuff. There's a smart and funny piece here: Depressed not to do's (although it's aimed at women, men can relate to most of it).  And here's a list of famous depressed people: Famous Depressed's. That one's very good, actually. Apparently, some of the most outstanding people in history have been depressed. (Of course, it may just be that I think they're cool because, as depressed people, they were into similar things as I am. Mindbending. I know.)

Just a sneak peak: Abraham Lincoln, Winston Churchill, Thomas Jefferson, Drew Carey, Jim Carrey, Ellen Degeneres, Rodney Dangerfield, Emily Dickinson, Queen Elizabeth (Ok, she isn't as outstanding as Winston Churchill or Drew Carey, but she's famous), Harrison Ford, Jane Goodall (I know, a shocker), Andrew Jackson, frikkin Isaac Newton, the guy who started J.C. Penny, Mark Twain, Joan Rivers and George "the man" Washington.

Other famous depressed people who didn't make the list might be more familiar to Jews: King David, the 1st Lubavitcher Rebbe (the Baal Hatanya), Rabbi Nachman of Breslev, the Kotzker Rebbe, and Rabbi Joseph B. Soloveitchik.

Hope this holds you over till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with the class.
Attention dearly departed anonymous commenters:
You can still comment anonymously by selecting it from the dropdown list. You then fill in the nonsense word.
I hope you can forgive me the extra 3 seconds it takes so that I can limit spam comments.